Position: IM Resource Planner
Contract: Full Time
Safety Critical: Yes
Reporting to: IM Planning and Control Manager
Purpose of the Role
To efficiently allocate all the necessary resources for safe, on time and on budget delivery of Colas Rail Infrastructure Monitoring services. This will be in line with Colas Rail IM rostering guideline, various staff Terms and Conditions, and according to customer's orders. To issue and manage staff rosters according to IM rostering process and in the required timeline. To work under the direction of IM Planning and Control Manager and act as the main point of contact for all IM staff for all resourcing matters.
Key Areas of Responsibility & Accountability
- Act as the point of contact for all IM drivers and ground staff for all rostering matters.
- Closely liaise with rest of Rail Services rostering teams (Core Freight and Plant) and Delivery teams to make the best use of Colas Rail Route Knowledge portfolio.
- Provide the relevant stake holders (e.g. Freight Management team and Network Rail) with updates relating to forward planning and resource issues.
- Responsible for effective management of IM resource pool to facilitate and maintain route and traction knowledge for all drivers.
Produce and input traincrew diagrams / rosters efficiently and in-line with Colas Rail rostering guidelines, principles and terms & conditions
Gain a full understanding of NR/L2/OHS/003 Fatigue Standard with regards to fatigue considerations when producing traincrew rosters.
Ensure traincrew diagrams / rostered shifts are inputted into the Fatigue Management system accurately and in a timely fashion.
Ensure all rosters are of sufficient quality and accuracy.
Ensure all traincrew diagrams and rosters consider efficient driver utilisation, as well as all aspects of traincrew rostering;
Booking on / off times, prep / disposal times, PNBs, van placement / recovery, alternative transport arrangements, travelling times etc.
- Own and manage the rosters from cradle to grave once created, dealing with amendments / cancellations and sickness alongside IM Control and Delivery Manager
- Delivery of agreed rostering processes under the direction of Planning and Control Manager; T6 First Pass, Simplifier, Provisional Roster, Final Roster, T1/Duty Manager Handover
- Liaise with both internal and external stakeholders to manage any route and/or traction resource shortfalls.
- Production of bids/timings for maintenance moves and driver training. Ensure submission to Network Rail via Train Planning System (TPS)
- Undertake depot access requests / water bowser requests within relevant timescales. Act as point of contact for third party locations.
- Regularly check IM bids and Network Rail Online Logistics (NROL) for changes and service details
- Check Train Running Under System TOPS (TRSUT) if required to ensure accuracy of roster timings
- Monitor and action all revised timings within 3 working days
- Assist with delivery of IM `Route & Traction learning¿ and Driver training framework
- Monitor allocated drivers and ground staff availability regarding annual leave and rest days.
- Review all operational staff absence requests within appropriate timescales. Escalate to Delivery Manager if required
- Work closely with Core HR/MyColas to ensure annual leave requests and lieu days are kept up to date.
- Liaise with train planners regarding service requirements & timings
- Attend meetings as required by the Company (for example - Resource Vacancy Call and Rail Services weekly resource call).
- Make arrangements for travel and accommodation for operational staff and liaise with Rail Services Hotels & Bookings (RSHB) as required to ensure bookings and cancellations are made and updated where necessary.
- Plan drivers and ground staff vehicle movements and minimise vehicle driving hours
- The above does not limit your duties and the Company may require you from time to time to undertake any work within your capabilities and capacity
- As you will expect the organisation may change from time to time and you will be expected to meet the operational requirements.
Person Specification and Experience
The suitable candidate should have,
- Keen interest in the railway / trains
- Keen mind for planning, strategizing and problem solving
- Inquisitiveness and proactive nature
- Self-driven/motivated and have a desire to learn.
- Find satisfaction in finding and solving a problem.
- Aptitude for logical thinking.
- Good interpersonal/people skills. Happy conversing in person as well as by email/phone.
- Ability to self-analyse and be objectively critical when reviewing performance. Happy to ask for help where it is needed.
- A reasonable understanding of UK geography and/or UK railway infrastructure.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel (Word and Outlook also used)
- Team orientated approach to work but happy to break off and complete their own work
And what do we offer?
At Colas Rail we know how important job satisfaction is for everyone to support with life at home, your health and financial well-being, that¿s why in return we offer:
What training will we offer (internal and external)
- Invest time.
- Shadowing of existing competent employee¿s
- Real world experience of the jobs being rostered (Front end turns on IM services)
- Induction into IM (What we do and how)
- Internal training and module learning/certification.
- Rostering Principles
- Fatigue Monitoring and Management
- Route and Traction Competence
- Time spent at alternative sites to experience how other Rail Services Sectors operate.
- Competitive Salary
- Industry leading Life Assurance
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Wellbeing Employee Assistant Programme
- Pension Scheme
- Eye Care Vouchers
- Long Service Award
- Season Ticket Loan
- Occupational Health Service
Joining Colas Rail UK provides the opportunity to not only establish yourself within one of the rail industry's biggest and most prestigious, multi-disciplined contractors, providing you with a springboard that can take you career to new heights.
We take pride in nurturing talent and providing opportunities for you to unlock your potential at whatever stage you are in your career. We encourage cross-collaboration and innovation and if you are interested in learning Colas Rail will enable that.
Every day we work together safely to solve real problems, with a shared goal of enhancing the Infrastructure and Logistics which is key to the UK Rail Network and wider Supply Chain. Everyone here has a voice and we encourage all to speak up, discuss their ideas and implement them.
We are always looking for passionate people to join our business and with several bases across the UK, there are plenty of opportunities to join our vibrant and diverse teams.
Colas Rail hold three core values: Caring, Sharing and Daring. We take care our of our employees, always ensuring safety is a top priority and we nurture our collective wellbeing. We share a passion for what we do, celebrate our achievements and value high standards like nowhere else. We dare to take on new challenges, we are one of the international leaders in our industry. We keep on innovating, expanding, and conquering new markets.
The performance of Colas Rail UK is dependent upon improving and developing the skills and abilities of all employees, and our Equal Opportunities Policy, above all else, aims to achieve this objective.
- Engage and Care- Engage and stay close to our client. Provide sustainable solutions that you truly care about and join us in having an impact on the Infrastructure of the UK.
- Execute and Share- Share our joint passion for the important work executed every day at Colas Rail. Share in our success, our diversity, our development and execute our project plans.
- Energy and Dare- Display the energy of a leader, champion your teams. Dare to think innovatively and explore new horizons.
Colas Rail in the United Kingdom values and encourages diversity in our workforce, regardless of background, disability, age, religion, or gender. As part of our aim to deliver quality services, we are committed to promoting equality and eliminating discrimination. We will create a workforce that is reflective of the communities we work and live in.
We are a Second Chance Employer, committed to ensuring that people with convictions have opportunities for employment.